Sunday 14 August 2011

To go from breadth to depth

Bethany your cross-curricula ideas are fantastic. I love the concept of music as energiser!

I haven't heard the 'Days of the week' song - sounds interesting, as does your rap. The idea of writing a pervasive text as a rap is wonderful.

During primary school, I was a student of breadth. I fell in love with visual arts during art in year 11.

The Brett Whiteley exhibition at the Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery in 1996 was mind blowing - amazing.


Image taken from http://www.artknowledgenews.com/brettwhiteleyhtml.html

Sinclair, Jeanneret and O’Toole state “experiences should be introduced in a variety of ways” (2009 p. 133), the depth method of introducing visual art slowly and extensively explores this.  Dedicating time to one artist would be impressive, immersing students by displaying the artist's work and historyThemes like these are beneficial as they can be investigated across curriculum areas.   Some artists I would include are: Brett Whiteley, Salvador Dali, and Tom Roberts.  Sinclair et al (2009) also claims that content should include both teacher and student interests.



" The Persistence of Memory"
Image taken from http://www.arthistoryguide.com/Salvador_Dali.aspx

A visual diary and  silent drawing are amazing ideas to include in daily routines. We tend to focus on literacy and numeracy; arts needs to be engaged with more than one afternoon a week.   My students will be encouraged that everyone is different, and if we all drew the same it would be boring. 

While students are generating art, play music from the same era, making links to the artist and their society. 


One line at a time was fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised by my end result J.  I didn't finish my picture (ran out of time) but once I responded with my image, I realized I wouldn’t be able to successfully, using the same method.  I was happy 'unfinished'. 

My 8 yr old saw my picture and tried it – generating a fantastic picture! 

What an incredible way to show students they can draw, build self-confidence, promote valuing and encourage a response about their own art work.

Amy


Sinclair, C., Jeanneret, N., & O'Toole, J. (Eds.). (2009). Education in the arts: teaching and learning in the contemporary curriculum. South Melbourne, Victoria. Australia: Oxford University Press.








1 comment: