Tuesday 16 August 2011

Purposeful and Meaningful Learning

Amy, I was also a student of breadth rather than depth. I remember a number of occasions when we were simply instructed to ‘draw a picture’ with pre-mixed colours. This seems to be the type of art program that was common when we were younger. Sinclair Jeanneret and O’Toole (2009) argue that good art teaching needs to be stimulating and well-organised, and should centre on students’ own interests. During a unit on Antarctica in grade 6, our teacher instructed us to paint the classroom windows white and we turned our classroom into an ‘Antarctic panorama’. The learning experience was stimulating and provided us with a sense of ownership. It centred on our own interests and focussed on imagination and understanding. This was a snapshot into what a depth program could entail. The lesson was so memorable and yet, I was barely exposed to similar depth over nine years of Arts education. When I left the tutorial with Maureen, I felt a sense of achievement about my charcoal drawing- something which I had never experienced before.  This further reinforces how vital it is that teachers promote a sense of pride and achievement through art.

Amy, I agree with you that a depth program is a wonderful way of teaching, and I believe that this philosophy should underpin the entire curriculum, not just arts education. The learning that students remember is usually the learning that has been both meaningful and purposeful, and allows for exploration and creativity.

Bethany

Sinclair, C., Jeanneret, N., & O'Toole, J. (Eds.). (2009). Education in the arts: teaching and learning in the contemporary curriculum. Sydney: Oxford University Press






1 comment:

  1. FINAL FEEDBACK for both of you
    Your posting has improved considerably. Please read the comments made throughout as I think the message is clear.

    You are well on track, congratulations, please just heed some of the comments.

    Bill Baker

    ReplyDelete